First: View and Mission
To try to promote the Razzaza and West of the Euphrates Research Unit to become a model in promoting research level and supplying the scientific society with information and scientific research in various fields.
We attempt to supply a suitable educational and academic environment for the university staff and researchers in various specialties in order to conduct researches and studies on the environment in Karbala.
- Conducting scientific researches on the environment and geology of Karbala.
- Cooperating with various state institutions in Karbala to conduct joint researches and studies that serve the governorate.
- Setting up an environmental plan for the governorate.
Manager of the Unit: Asst. Prof. Dr. Hasan Jameel Jawad.
Second: The Unit manager’s CV.
Third: The Unit’s research activities
|Name of activity||Its type||Name of lecturer||Date of activity||Place where it is held|
|1-||Telesensation Applications||Seminar||Asst. Prof. Dr. Najim Abdul-Hussein||3/11/2009||College of Science|
|2-||The Concept of Geographic Information Systems||Seminar||Dr. Hussein M. Hussein||17/11/2009||College of Science|
|3-||Solar Lakes||Seminar||Dr. Jasim T. Mahdi||24/11/2009||College of Science|
|4-||The Concept of the Digital Model GIS||Seminar||Dr. Hussein J. Ahmed||12/12/2009||College of Science|
|5-||A Study of the Razzaza Lake Environment||Conference||In coordination with the Assembly of Karbala governorate. To be held in Baghdad or Karbala Univ. in April 2012|
It is intended to hold a scientific symposium under the title (The Environment of Karbala: Current State and Ambition). It involves the following topics:
- Environmental pollution (chemical and biological) of water in the Razzaza lake and neighbouring areas:
- Refuse caused by using pesticides.
- Refuse and means of selecting dumping grounds.
- Water type indication
- Energy: Solar lakes
- Hydrology: A- The water balance of the Razzaza lake basin
B- Changes in the Razzaza lake level of water
- Treatment of environment pollution with the modern techniques.
- The biological treatment of water.
- The study of some factors affecting the environment of Karbala city.
- Engineering and economic geology and investment:
- Detecting weakness points and gaps under the foundations of buildings and establishments.
- Guessing the reservoir of building material.
Fifth: The Unit’s researches
|Research title||Researcher||Research type||Date||Publication Type|
|1-||Preparing an Environmental Model for Pollution Sensitivity in the Western Desert||Dr. Hussein Mousa and Dr. Hussein J. Ahmed||Published||2008||Journal of the Univ. of Karbala|
|2-||Detecting Water Sources in the Western Desert||Dr. Hussein J. Ahmed and Dr. Hussein Mousa||Published||2009||Journal of the Univ. of Kufa|
|3-||A Study of the Chemical Characteristics of Underground Water in Karbala||Dr. Hussein J. Ahmed||Under Preparation||2009|
|4-||The Study of Radioactivity Using the Nuclear Effect Detector Technique and Sodium Iodide Mechanism||Dr. Muhammad Abdul-Hussein and Dr. Hasan Magtoof||Under Preparation||2009|
|5-||Fighting Desertification in Dry Areas||Dr. Hussein J. Ahmed and Dr. Hussein Mousa||Under Preparation||2009|
Research projects of the Razzaza and West of the Euphrates Research Unit for the academic year 2012-2013
|Research title||Researcher name||Notes|
|1||Gallstones and Some Underlying Causes||Dr. Thikra A. Hasan||Research conducted within the unit’s activities|
|2||Phosphorylase phosphatese (protein phosphatase type 1)||Dr. Thikra Adnan and Dr. Hasan J. Jawad||Planned|
|3||A Comparative Study of the Retarding Effect of the Crude Chlesogene Extracted From Colonic Bacteria and the Liquid Extract of Pomegranate Skin From Isolated Pathogens of Diarrhea Patients||Asst. Prof. Dr. Wafaa Al-Wazni||Research conducted within the unit’s activities|
|The Seismic Crosshole Survey of the Husseini Camp Soil
|Dr. Ammar J. Muhammad
|Achievement rate: 20%|
|5||The Geophysical, Geotechnical and Geochemical Surveys of the Soil of Karbala Cement Factory||Dr. Ammar J. Muhammad, Dr. Ahmed K. Salman and Sabah Mahdi
|Conducted within the unit’s activities and accepted for publication in the Journal of Karbala Univ. on 31/1/2013|
|6||The Seismic Crosshole Survey of the Soil of Al-Abbas Holy Shrine in Karbala||Dr. Ammar Jasim||Conducted within the unit’s activities and ready for publication|
|7||Radioactive Contamination (A Practical Study of Cancer in Karbala Governorate)||Dr. Abdul-Abbas Fudheekh and Dr. Sa’dia Al-Salihi||Planned|
|8||The Shortage of Underground Water in Ain Al-Tamr and Razzaza||Dr. Sa’dia Al-Salihi, Dr. Abdul-Abbas Fudheekh and Dr. Ammar J. Muhammad||Planned|
|9||The Effect of the Wind in Soil Erosion in Karbala Desert
|Dr. Abdul-Abbas Fudheekh and Dr. Sa’dia Al-Salihi||Planned|
|10||The Study of the Effect of Using the Commercial Metronidazole Drug on the Appearance of Natal Deformations in New-Born Babies in the Norwegian Survey||Kadhim M. Haddow, Hussein A. Abdul-Lateef and Akram Y. Yasir||Conducted within the unit’s activities and ready for publication|
|11||The Effect of the Commercial Flagene Drug in the Weight, Size and Diameter of the Uterus and Number of Embryos in the Antimicrobial Norwegian Survey in the Period of Embryo Implantation in the Seventh and Ninth Days of Pregnancy||Kadhim M. Haddow, Akram Y. Yasir and Hussein A. Abdul-Lateef||Conducted within the unit’s activities and ready for publication|
|12||The Study of the Effect of Metronidazole on the Levels of Progesterone and Estrogen Hormones During Blastocyst Implantation in the Uterus.||Kadhim M. Haddow, Hussein A. Abdul-Lateef and Akram Y. Yasir||Conducted within the unit’s activities and ready for publication|
|13||Antimicrobial Activity Myrtaceae Communic Leaves Aqueous Extract Against Oral Pathogen.||Asst. Prof. Dr. Wafaa’ Sadiq, Asst. Prof. Dr. Najih Hashim and Sanad Shamil||Conducted within the unit’s activities and ready for publication (Presented in College of Science First Conference 2013)|
|14||Detecting Some Microbial Poisons in River and Drinking Waters in Some Areas in Karbala||Dr. Thikra A. Jawad and Dr. Hasan J. Jawad||Planned|
|15||A Genetic and Epidemic Study of Thalassemia in Karbala in the Year 2006||Dr. Mahdi Abdul-Khidhir||Conducted within the unit’s activities and published in the Journal of Karbala Univ.|
|16||The Study of the Chemical and Physical Characteristics of the Underground Water in the Green Belt Area in Karbala||Dr. Hussein J. Ahmed||Planned|
|17||Detecting the Hipylori Bacteria by Tape and Albetra Tests and Comparing Their Accuracy||Iqbal A. Jabir and Zahraa’ Ali||Planned|
|18||Measuring the Radioactivity in Various Samples (Soil-Plant -Water) in Iraq Governorates||Iman I. Awadh||Planned|
|19||The Choice of the Way of Getting the Level of Blood Concentration in the Culture Media (TCM 199) to Grow up Sheep Ova in Laboratory||Dr. Mahdi Abdul-Khidhir||Planned|
Sixth: Suggested symposiums
- The Effect of Pollutants Emitted by Private Generators on People’s Health in Karbala. In collaboration with the Ministry of Science and Technology /Karbala branch and according to the cooperation agreement signed between the University of Karbala and the aforementioned ministry branch, Lecturer: Dr. Maitham Abdulla. It was held on 24/2/2013 at the conferences hall in the college of science/ University of Karbala. It was marked by a wide attendance of various society sectors and state institutions.
- The Effects of Exposure to Non-Ionized Rays Emitted by Telecommunication Exchanges and Towers in Karbala. In collaboration with the Ministry of Science and Technology /Karbala branch and according to the cooperation agreement signed between the University of Karbala and the aforementioned ministry branch, Lecturer: Dr. Maitham Abdulla. It was held on 12/4/2013 at the conferences hall in the college of science/ University of Karbala. It was marked by a wide attendance of various society sectors and state institutions.
- The Magnetization of Seeds and Fresh and Salt Irrigation Waters. In collaboration with the Ministry of Science and Technology /Karbala branch and according to the cooperation agreement signed between the University of Karbala and the aforementioned ministry branch (To be held during the next academic year 2013-2014).
- Reinforcing the Foundations of Al-Abbas Holy Shrine. Lecturer (Dr. Ammar J. Muhammad) in collaboration with the secretariat of Al-Abbas Holy Shrine. (To be held during the next academic year 2013-2014).
- The Seismic Survey to Detect the Points of Weakness and Gaps Under the Foundations of the Pumps Building in Al-Husseni Quarter Project for Potable Water. Lecturer (Dr. Ammar Jasim). In collaboration with the running water office in Karbala. (To be held during the next academic year 2013-2014).
Seventh: Other activities
- A cooperation agreement was signed between the University of Karbala and the Ministry of Science and Technology/Karbala branch.
- Contacting state institutions and holy shrines secretariats for possibilities of cooperation in symposiums and conferences to be held for the Razzaza Lake research unit.
- Coordination with Karbala environment office to study desertification in the governorate and a study to save ghadha plant from extinction.
- Submitting a proposal for a comprehensive research study with the name of the project of the Razzaza Lake and west of the Euphrates for the various specialties: science and humanities.
- Attending the discussion of the MSc. Thesis by Zeena Thamir entitled (Investigating the Appearance and Genetic Differences in Bread Wheat (Triticum Aestivum) Under Various Levels of Added Fertilizers). It was held on Monday 17/1/2013 at the conferences hall in the College of Education for Pure Science-Karbala Univ.
Eighth: Suggested pioneering projects
- The Geophysical and Geotechnical Surveys of the Soil of Karbala University Constructed Buildings and Those Still under Construction and Engineering Establishments in Karbala. (Dr. Ammar J. Muhammad).
- Using the Geophysical Techniques in the Radar Earth Survey of Hills in Karbala and Other Governorates. (Dr. Ammar J. Muhammad).
- The Shortage of Underground Water in Ain Al-Tamr and Razzaza.( Dr. Sa’dia Al-Salihi, Dr. Abdul-Abbas Fudheekh and Dr. Ammar J. Muhammad) (Proposed)
- Desertification in Karbala. .( Dr. Abdul-Abbas Fudheekh and Dr. Sa’dia Al-Salihi) (Proposed)
- Rehabilitating the Deserted Areas of Karbala Old Sand Quarries Environmentally, Biologically and as Tourist Attractions. (Dr. Ammar J. Muhammad) (Proposed)